Tuesday, December 8, 2009

CWPT Annual Conference/Friends Group

The conundrum....

I am debating on whether or not I am going to attend the conference for 2010. It would be a great opportunity to join like-minded folks and visit Perryville, Richmond, and Mill Springs, but modestly speaking, I probably have about as much knowledge on these three battles as those giving the presentations. The cost of the trip, including hotel, is fairly expensive, and it appears that Ed Bearss is not going to be attending, which is one of the main reasons why I would want to participate in such an event. It will be the only CWPT annual conference within shouting distance, and the dollars spent do help support CWPT's mission, which is preserving our Civil war past so that our future generations can visit and honor our veterans as we do today.

A lot depends on work as well. Last year I received a very nice bonus at Christmas (is it politically incorrect to say "Christmas"? It is? GOOD!), but this year things have been tighter. If a bonus is forthcoming, it will make my decision to go much easier, actually it would make it automatic.

So, the dilemma still exists, for now. The bonus will make the trip, otherwise I might have to fore go this opportunity. Should know in the next few weeks.

On a different note....

It does appear that there is a Friends of Perryville group. I received a recent email from the park that mentions that the friends group is a new entity which is just getting started. I am hoping to hear directly from one of their board so that I can post details on how we can support this group, which seems to be tied more directly to the battlefield than the Perryville Enhancement Project (and their affiliate the Perryville Battlefield Preservation Association). From what I gather there is a lot of political bullcrud within the latter group, so instead of sending my financial support to them, I'd rather it go directly to the battlefield. Stay tuned for more details as they become available.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...