Sunday, February 17, 2019

Cemetery Visit

I had an opportunity, on a sunny but cold winter's day, to stop and visit my great great grandfather's grave in Woodside Cemetery in Middletown.  My wife and I took a bit of a drive, had some pretty good BBQ, walked around the revitalized downtown a bit, and then headed to the cemetery.  I was able to find the plot fairly quickly as I had completed a bit of research prior to visiting.  

As mentioned, Jacob C. Weikel served in the 12th Ohio Infantry, enlisting as a private, then mustering out as a sergeant, enlisting in the 23rd for a few weeks, before finally leaving the service.  

Next steps will be to buy a GAR or Civil War veteran marker and place it near the grave as well as about seeing how to get a wreath placed each year as part of the Wreaths Across America program.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...